The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So thankful & a countdown day.

I am very thankful for today, and tomorrow, and the days to come. I have my parent’s house to myself today. I’m watching Adoption Stories right now (which is totally making my heart happy for the years to come, and it’s been too long since I’ve watched it), and then I am planning on making an old pair of jeans into some capris :) This should be fun.

Tonight, my sister and her boy are coming over to my parents house, and we’re all spending the day together tomorrow as well. These moments are so special, and I’m beginning to realize just how thankful I am, once again. Tomorrow will be a day of great food and amazing relaxation. I hope to get everything squared away today with the flights for January (the date may have changed for departure lol once again, but all's good! Only maybe a day or two difference), and apply for my Malian Visa, and register (meant to last night, but we all know I’m forgetful) for the SALT Conference in Jacksonville.

Gosh, I love today.

Oh!! And today is 50ish something in the Big Countdown 'til Mali. It could be day 58, 59 - I think you get my gist. :) Anywho, here is Day 50-something :

Timbuktu!! You guessed it! Timbuktu (or Tombouctou) is a REAL place and it is in Mali, West Africa. Oh yes. And, I hopefully get to travel to this far away magical place next year! Yes, God has sent me to the land of Timbuktu. I so often get a kick out of that :) In this map (from Google Images, as all the other photos in this post as well) you can see the distance from Bamako, the capital city where I will reside, to Timbuktu. It's quite a long trek. :)
Here is a picture of life in Timbuktu. And yes, I am very excited, but nervous too, about riding a camel.


I also wanted to explain the racial differences in Timbuktu. There are a more Arab-looking people living there (called the Tuareg people) who are nomadic. Also, there are the Black Africans living there as well. There is a history of the Tuareg's enslaving the Black Africans, but I'll leave that for another post.
So, there you go. He has sent me to the land of Timbuktu. :) You've gotta love it!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wow! I never realized Timbuktu was in Africa, let alone Mali! That's so cool! Hope you get to ride many camels while your in Mali! :)

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?