The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Monday, November 23, 2009

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

What to do? I'm SO confused about my education right now. As of next December [2010], I will officially be a college graduate with a BA in English. It opens up a world of possibilities!

plan a [the plan I REALLY hope works out]- Graduate with BA in English. Attend Graduate school for Master's degree in English/Fiction. Get a job teaching English at a local high school and, while I work, obtain my teaching license [which is doable, I already checked]. [My heart is creative writing, and I just don't feel adequate with a BA to teach high school students the craft of it, so that is why I would be furthering my skill in creative writing] & perhaps teach overseas after I've established myself.

plan b - Graduate with BA in English. Attend Graduate school for MAT [Master's of Arts in Teaching] degree that is coupled with obtaining my teaching license. Then get a job.

plan c - Graduate with BA in English. Get a job teaching high school English, obtain license while teaching. [LESS MONEY. p.s. and not that it is all about money, b/c believe me it is NOT. but just something to think about]

If any of you have any experience, advice, thoughts, prayers to give me, they would be very much appreciated! :))
Gosh, there's so much to think about these days...

3 comments:

JonesEthiopia said...

Well, I was a HS English teacher for 2 years and then taught 8th grade for 6 before becoming an instructional coach. I graduated with just my BS in English ed and got my masters during my first 2 years teaching. My question for you is if you've had any classroom experience at all. I mean, observing, lesson planning, teaching a lession to a class. If you haven't, I would highly recommend getting your masters in teaching before you would start teaching. That is going to be more useful to you in teaching HS students (and HS curriculum) than the masters in Eng/Lit would be.

natali said...

I have not had any classroom experience, b/c I am just an English major, not an English ed. Thanks for the info!

natali said...

I've looked into a bit more, and it seems that [given I would be teaching in nc] the salary difference between a bachelor & master degree is NOT significant, so I may not even do the Master's degree. And instead, just graduate with my BA in English & acquire my license while I teach.

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?