The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Monday, January 25, 2010

African literature...


I am loving my African literature class! I have already learned SO much to tell my little one when I DO adopt him or her sometime in the future. I'm loving learning about the culture, the griots that tell the stories/histories of ancient times, and everything in between. Of course, as with some things in every culture, some stories don't quite make sense, but you have to make something up to make your kid behave/follow rules sometimes :))


3 comments:

JonesEthiopia said...

What are some of the things you are reading?

natali said...

Hmm... we've read a story about how twins came among the Yoruba people, a story of how the hippo's tail is so short, another story about why the sun and the moon live in the sky, an epic of an African king destined to have the throne of Mali, and some other things I probably will not read to my kids (killing a co-wife and how a dead Egyptian king ate the gods). It is all SO interesting! Some of the titles are Why the Hippo Has a Stumpy Tail and Why the Sun and Moon Live in the Sky, if you want to google and see if you can come up with anything. Of course, GOD put everything the way it is, but they are cute little stories anyhow.

natali said...

and the two stories at the end have good morals too

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?