The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Monday, August 16, 2010

memorial box monday - He grants the exact desires of my heart.

my memorial box bulletin board
for those of you who may not know what a memorial box is, linny explains it well when she described it on her blog (she began memorial box monday) :

"In Joshua 4 Almighty God tells the Israelites to collect stones and set them as a Memorial to remind them of God's power and provision. He then tells the Israelites to use those stones as a memorial; that everytime they see them to tell their children and their children's children the stories over and over again, continually reminding them of God's faithfulness."
we so often forget what God has done for us in the past, and when a storm comes our way we tend to question God and wonder if He is still there or He will show up. having this memorial hanging on my wall of all the ways He has shown up before - never leaving me nor forsaking me - keeps a constant "HE IS SOOOO FAITHFUL" reminder in my head. it's such a joy to look back and see what He has brought you through before, and be able to tell yourself He was there then and He's the same God now!

this memorial box monday is so fresh! it happened just last night, but i have to back the story up just a few months for you guys to see just how special it is.

in april i became really distraught one night over moving to mali next year. doubt and fear were attacking me from every side like i'd never experienced before. i was literally bawling and holding my sister, saying "i dont' think i can do this". so i emailed and talked with a sweet bloggy friend who i knew could strengthen me by pointing to Him and praying with me. i wanted great advice and i got it. that sweet friend suggested i read a few missionary biographies or diaries. i wanted to really bad, but wasn't sure where to find one.

so i let the thought slide and eventually a couple of months go by and i google missionary biographies. so i did, and i found gladys aylward, a single woman missionary to China who preached the gospel, became a Chinese citizen and took in abadoned children on the streets (200 in total), and fell in love with her story. i had even put one of her quotes,"... if God has called you to China or any other place and you are sure in your own heart, let nothing deter you... remember it is God who has called you and it is the same as when He called Moses or Samuel", as the opening quote for my video for my homechurch that i'm going to show for support and make them aware of what i will be doing next year.
after i googled her and read a little about her in a description on a website, i was enthralled and really wanted to read a book all about a missionary. i've even youtubed missionary testimonies over and over again, just because i am able to soak up how they follow Him no matter the cost and their amazing stories of how God made it happen for them personally.
well, yesterday as i was waiting for church to begin last night someone came up to me and asked me if i liked to read. of course i said yes! (i'm an english-creative writing-literature-major) he then went on to say he had a couple of books and they were missionary biographies. and what do you know He starts describing the first book - a single woman missionary jumped over hurdle after hurdle to get to China. do i even have to tell you guys her name?? :))
some may say, "that is so little, who cares?!", BUT it isn't a little thing. God worked behind the scenes to bring me the exact book of gladys aylward. the woman who i was in wonder by her life and how He worked in it. if God cares about getting me that exact missionary biography, then how much more does He care about the big things?! people, God is so awesome. i desired in my heart to read about a missionary. He didn't have to grant me that desire, but He did. and how awesome for Him to give me the exact missionaries story- out of thousands of missionary biographies probably available - that i really fell in love with. i cannot wait until wednesday when the person is going to bring the books to me. oh! did i forget to tell you he has even more books ( and the second one was about a single woman missionary to West Africa - that one made me say "HOW FAITHUFL!!!! again!). gladys aylward was the first one he mentioned to me. :)
God is sooooo faithful!!
"You light up the sky to show me You are with me. no, no i can't deny You are right there with me. You've opened my heart so i can see You all around me." -- the afters.

6 comments:

Gabi Dickinson said...

If you haven't already, you NEED to read:
''Always Enough''
and ''Compelled by Love'' by Heidi and Rolland Baker(missionaries to Mozambique and my heroes.)

Freedom Hollow Farmgirl said...

Our God is so awesome. I look forward to following your journey.

Blessings,
Suzanne
freedomhollowfarmkiddos.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Oh!!!! How amazing and tender and beautiful! He cares so about your heart to bring you just what you need!!! He is so amazing isn't He???

Renee said...

Oh, this gave me goose bumps...it seems to be just one of the little ways that God is showing his love for you and letting you know He is with you on this journey. I also love reading books about missionaries and am going to be looking up a few to read!

Unknown said...

Your story really touched my heart. To God be the glory. Thank you for sharing it.

Leah Wentzel said...

when i am passionately interested in something I do the same thing, I google, I read books, I watch videos over and over...that is exactly what I did before becoming a foster mom.

you have been CALLED and you are going to do GREAT!

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?