The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I never thought I'd see it lived out...

I've always heard about the good Samaritan story in the Bible, and I always wondered how anyone could be SO cruel and unloving as to pass up a person seriously injured, looking the other way and not even acknowledging them, not even asking them if they needed help. And I am sad to say that yesterday I saw that story as if it was the story itself.
As I was waiting to go into one of my classes, and for some reason I looked over to the right and there was this guy standing there looking really pale. I just wrote it off to he was sick, maybe about to throw up, because of the flu going around campus. He didn't need help at that moment, at least I didn't think so. Then, maybe five or ten seconds later this guy begins to wobble and his feet are shuffling, and he looks like he's losing his balance maybe. THEN, something takes ahold of his body (I'm guessing a seizure of some sort) and he practically head butts the concrete column next to him. And I do mean head first. I had the visualization of a ram - serious headbutting. He then falls to the ground and is unconcious for the first few seconds. He was out. I looked to one of my classmates next to me, and we were horrified. I wasn't sure if he was crazy, like suicidal crazy, or if he was prone to seizures or what. Then I remembered that he had been pale, so I knew something was wrong. He hadn't meant to practically head butt the CONCRETE column beside him. I was still very nervous at this point, things running through my head like "I wonder if I go over there is he going to pull my leg?" I know, crazy thoughts, but nonetheless they were running through my head. But I pushed past them for the sake that maybe he was really hurt, and bad. I asked him was he okay. No response. I got up and went closer to him - are you okay? He's rubbing his face at this point. I ask him again is he okay. And he says no, that he didn't know what happened. And this is the sad part, only me and one other girl - out of like five people sitting there! - went to get help for him. And, no, the others did not sit there with him. The others did not consol him. The others did not ask him if his was okay. They just set there like bumps on a log, not helping him, not even saying a word to him - they acted as if it didn't matter that there was a guy laying on the floor that just knocked himself out with a concrete column. They didn't care that he said this had never happened before. They just sat there and stared at him - like that was somehow going to help.
I'm sorry if I sound angry, but I am. It really bothered me, and still does that no one did anything for this guy except me and another girl - and she didn't even see the whole thing happen. I think she just saw him laying on the floor.
Needless to say, we got him some help, and I pray that he is fine. He had a laceration on his nose. Thankfully he could tell how many fingers they were holding up and so on. And that is a true miracle from my GOD! If you guys had only seen this guy go into that column the way he did! I thought for sure his head was going to be cracked open or he wasn't going to wake up, or something. I did not expect him to only have a cut on his nose. GOD was looking after him, truly. You don't just head butt a concrete column and walk away to the Health Services everyday.
GOD is SO good and faithful! Even when we don't expect it :))

No comments:

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?