The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Friday, October 8, 2010

a bad-kind-of-weird, yet strangely-turning-out-to-be-good day.

so, i just emailed my essays to the professor. that’s a relief.
now off to fall break and a wonderful four days with people i’ve missed. it’s not without reading and bunches of work for classes involved, of course, but none the less they call it fall break. :)
we read about you, bamako, for class today. i thought that was a little awesome :) oh, and i found out we continued the movie about mali wednesday when my body mistakenly decided to sleep in. but, there’s still one more day of you, little mali movie, because they didn’t finish. so i get to sit there and dream of you, dogon country, once more while in class and let your words tickle my ears as i become strangely familiar with hearing bambara and wanting to speak it too.
oh, and let me not forget how my west african professor keeps adding things about you, mali, into the class and looking at me when she says it. of course, she knows of my venture, but nontheless this is one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me.
i keep coming across Americans in my reading who have moved to Africa to serve for extended periods of time (even Peace Corp volunteers) and i long to know my new name the new nation surrounding myself will give me. or how long it will be? and how it will sound on my tongue. i long to write it down, for that is part of my fascination with everything. my love of the written word and how it appears. the allegorical allusions and metaphors. the similes that make me smile. and imagery. oh, sweet imagery.
and last, but oh so not least, i’m giving this Sunday to You. i want my words to be Your words, and for You to be glorified. this isn’t about what i can do for mali, but what You can do. i just want them to know it’s not me - so desperately. please, take over me

No comments:

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?