The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Monday, June 28, 2010

i so haali want you to know the free dumuni that feeds you forever.






talibé boys (pronounced tal-ee-bay). they have become one of my passions. i don't know why. but i know that i was researching orphans in Mali one night a few weeks back and came across these children. these boys are sent to live with religious leaders and study. they have been orphaned to the society. they spend about 5 hours a day reciting and memorizing the texts and then are made to beg for alms the rest of the time. they beg for their meals. and if they beg and do not receive anything they are whipped. the boys range from age 3 to 15. that brings tears. big tears. i cannot imagine my little three year old nephew Judah begging for his food and being whipped if no one was compassionate enough to give him anything. they're barefoot. dusty and dirty. the only clothes they have are rags. this should break our hearts! it breaks His heart.
get this - half of the boys are age 10 and under. yes, half.
and this is going on in a lot of West African countries.
i found out a few days ago that i have an opportunity next year to work alongside these boys. my heart bursts with His faithfulness. i know it was Him that led me to researching the talibé boys a while back, because i don't even remember how i got there. i was just researching orphans and my heart was open to street kids through different blogs i had been reading and so forth. and now the opportunity is here for me to do just what my heart has been shown. i prayed and hoped that i would be able to work with these boys, commonly known as street kids. i have a burden for them that is unexplainable.
right now, still 6 months away from my departure to Mali, i'm not sure what all of this means, or what will become of it. all i do know is that the opportunity is here. my heart is ever so ready to welcome it. i wish i was there now so i could buy them bread and rice to eat. so that just tonight they wouldn't have to go hungry. it's 9:29pm in Bamako right now. their night shift of begging is coming to an end in approximately half an hour. i wonder if they ate today? or yesterday? are their bellies hurting? or are being whipped as i type this? i just want to hug every single one of the talibé boys. every single one. and tell them to hold on. for the joy of the Lord can soon be their strength. i want them to know the love i have within me. that love that will never go away. even if your parents disown you and send you cities away to beg. He loves you. and i do too. and i cannot wait until i can sit down with you, burru and kini in hand, and share with you. i want you to eat, but more than anything i want you to know of the nisondiya that you can have. the strength that comes along with it. the dumuni that feeds you forever. and it is free. you don't have to beg for it.
i so haali want you guys to know that. so haali.


**bambara words
buuru - bread
kini - rice
nisondiya - joy
dumuni - food
haali - very much

1 comment:

Kylee said...

I just sighed a huge sigh, because I don't even know what to write.

My heart hurts as I read those words about the reality for so many children. At the same time, it excites me to hear that you will get an opportunity to work with these kids. What a wonderful hope you will be to them as you share His love.

It is so clear to see the heart you have for Him and for His orphans, and that excites me. Thank you for writing this post.

(Did you see the video Tiffany at A Moment Cherished put on her blog today? It broke my heart and gave me a reality check about my life regarding orphans. I think you would like it.)

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?