The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Monday, June 14, 2010

Mali food - thank You, Jesus.


After watching some of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman doing a segment on Ugandan food I am defnitely thankful that I’m moving to Mali and not Uganda. haha.

Instead of sugarcane rat, flying ants, etc in Uganda, I found this when I googled Mali culture/food:

In the cities, rice is the preferred dish (40 percent of the daily food intake), followed by cereals (sorghum and millet, 35 percent), peanuts, sugar, and oil (20 percent). In the rural areas where rice is produced, farmers tend to consider rice a luxury item and they sell it. Their basic staples are millet, sorghum, and fonio (a West African cereal) that are consumed in a variety of ways: served with sauces with fish or meat and various vegetables, or in the form of porridge (mixed with water, sugar, and fresh or powdered milk). Read more: Culture of Mali - traditional, history, people, traditions, women, beliefs, food, customs, family, social, dress, marriage, men, life, population, religion, rituals, History and ethnic relations http://www.everyculture.com/Ja-Ma/Mali.html#ixzz0qrCdZO3X

I don’t like fish very much, but i think i can manage that better than rat. But hey, monkey, lizard and lamb [because I've heard from people that it's there! haha] I’ll have to try I guess. I’m just so so soooo thankful for buuru (bambara word for 'bread') & kini ('rice') being the staple foods right now :DD

know there are probably weird and nasty things in Mali too [who knows, they may even have flying ants there too, but the BASIC dishes are carbs :))] haha, BUT the best thing ever is rice, millet, peanuts, and bread are the main meals, and that is music to my ears. :D

all i can say is thank You, Jesus, for sending me to Mali. this is definitely favor! haha.

.

1 comment:

Kylee said...

Just wanted to thank you for all of your prayer while I was away. It was so encouraging to know that someone was support me and praying for me while I was in Peru.

Regarding food, your post made me smile, only because every time I saw rice and bread at our meals, i let out a big sigh of relief. There were meals I ate sooo many pieces of bread because it was so good. Too many carbs in Peru, too. And lots of weird stuff, that I still don't know what it was!

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?