The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

it's difficult knowing...



There were an estimated 4300 street children in Bamako in 2002. That is almost ten years ago and that's only in the capital city alone, not even taking into consideration those kids in Mopti, Segou, Timbuktu...
To say that it breaks my heart would be an understatement. Those are KIDS out there living ON.THE.STREETS. Alone. Terrified. Hungry. Just for a second, will you imagine this with me? Put your son or your daughter, or a kid you know, in their place.
The same study that came up with those astounding estimates of the #'s of these kids, says out of the numerous cause of why these kids end up alone on the streets, a big factor plays into the way their Koranic school tutor forces them to live and beg on the streets, and then their tutor taking what they've earned. Some of the other mentioned reasons why are because of abuse/neglect, and poverty.

Those estimated 4300 kids are subject to child trafficking.
They range from around four years old to fifteen.
Just imagine your son or daughter alone, on the streets. They beg for their every meal. And sometimes they don't get anything. Sometimes they're taken advantage of. Other times they feel unloved and completely alone. They have no one to tuck them in at night, and may have never heard the words, "I love you.". Never. And they might never hear them. Ever.
Will you pray with me for the street kids of Mali? I'm falling in love with these precious little people, and it's difficult.
It's difficult knowing.

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." -- Helen Keller

2 comments:

junglemama said...

I see your heart is for Africa. Mine is for Ukraine. Sadly, there are street children there too. No matter where they live it breaks my heart to know that there are little children out in the world that are hungry, cold, and alone. Thanks for shairng your heart.

JonesEthiopia said...

Just wait until you get there and see it firsthand... Not trying to be negative, but it is HARD and life-changing.

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?