The Video I Made to Describe My Journey for Next Year and the People of Mali, West Africa

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Are you willing to be radical for Him?

Who'd have ever thought that the ride on the bus to campus this morning would have been any different from the days before? Not me. But, oh, was it ever.

I was just sitting on the bus, minding my own business. Then suddenly a guy stands up and says "Hey, I know you guys don't know me and this is kinda random..."

-- I thought for sure OH ME. I'm going to die. He's going to shoot us all over something that happened in his personal life. Honestly, those are the thoughts running through my head at lighting speed at the time. --

Then he starts to cry, to sob. He says GOD has been on his heart all morning, and He just wants to share with everyone how great He is!!

:))

Could it get any better?!

He goes on to say, GOD is more than what most churches proclaim Him to be (a LOT of churches are missing it, as we all know), and that GOD is so much more than what society makes Him out to be. He is not like the crazy guy calling out things to you in the center of campus [**On my campus, every now and then there comes along a crazy wanna be preacher guy who stands in the middle of campus - yelling out to random people who pass by him obscene things such as they are not going to Heaven, or they are living an immoral lifestyle, etc. I have been so angry with these crazy people before. I don't understand how they can judge someone like that. That is definitely not how Jesus got people's attention, if you know what I mean.]

The guy on the bus went on to say that what you do for GOD do it wholeheartedly! I was crying by this point. I couldn't believe how this one guy, at this time, on this exact bus, decided to obey his convictions and preach to a bus full of college kids. A bus full of college kids who looked at him like he was nuts.
WOW. It was an amazing bus ride to be sure!

Afterwards, I went over to him while people were piling off the bus and sat beside him. He was sobbing, his face in his hands. I told Him by no means was that random. I told him how I was going to Mali, and how what He said spoke to me. I said thank you for not being afraid to do what you just did.

You never know who GOD is going to use or how He will get your attention. He got mine today.

I cannot be afraid to speak up in uncomfortable situations. I cannot shy away from mentioning His love to acquaintances, friends, and family. I cannot be scared to follow my convictions, even if it means a dozen or so funny looks on faces. GOD uses the willing and the radical. Are you willing to be radical for Him?



"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39



To love GOD with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind requires that you sacrifice everything, that you surrender your life to Him. Being radical for Jesus is what it's all about! If you didn't know the love of GOD and His Son Jesus wouldn't you want someone to tell you about it? Think about that.
It's more than just a comfort issue. It's someone's eternity we're speaking about.

** I'm speaking to myself here too :))

1 comment:

JonesEthiopia said...

What a neat story. Definitely not random.

I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Do you?